Helen is experienced in dealing with data protection and information law matters. She provides expert advice on Data Protection, Freedom of Information (FOI) and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR).
Helen also advises clients on aspects of employee privacy and the application of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 and the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.
Helen regularly advises clients on DPA compliance, specifically responding to Subject Access Requests and the application of exemptions the disclosure of information and preparing and reviewing Data Protection Policies. In the context of FOI and EIR she has prepared qualified persons opinions and undertaken public interests test, advised on the application of exemptions/exceptions under the relevant provisions and has also prepared and reviewed FOI and EIR policies.
Recent examples of Helen’s information law experience include:
- Preparing and delivering bespoke training for charitable organisations on the application on the implications of Data Protection;
- Preparing and delivering bespoke training for schools on Data Protection and FOI issues;
- Training and advising a large commercial client on the implications of RIPA 2000 and the Telecommunications Regulations;
- Preparing and delivering training workshops for an English Local Authority on FOI and EIR following mandate from the ICO to provide adequate training to staff;
- Advising on the requirements to notify breaches of the DPA to the ICO;
- Preparing and delivering bespoke training to a large Welsh Public Sector organisation on the application of the EIR;
- Advising clients on responding to FOI requests and applicable exemptions;
- Undertaking and documenting public interest tests in relation to applicable exemptions on behalf of public sector organisations;
- Advising a Welsh Local Authority on a large scale disclosure of documents under a combined FOI/SAR made by a senior employee in preparation for a disciplinary investigation.