traditional practice area is that of special educational needs. He has been
instructed on appeals and claims heard by the SEND Tribunal and regularly
represents parents at hearings in both England and Wales. He has a wealth of
experience in both jurisdictions, the law being very different in each.
Having successfully acted in one of the first reported appeals from SEND to the
Upper Tribunal, he has developed a breath of knowledge in this jurisdiction and
is now frequently instructed by parents on appeals to the Upper Tribunal.
special educational needs, Kevin has also acted on Admission Appeals and
Exclusion Appeals/Reviews. He has experience in advising on school
re-organisation and advising Governing Body Disciplinary Committees.
further and higher education sector, Kevin has represented students facing
disciplinary action by their college or university as well as those students in
conflict with their institution over academic and other matters. His expertise
in public law and disability discrimination matters is particularly sought
after in this sector.
spoken on education law matters at conferences and webinars and has been a
contributing editor to Clarke Hall and Morrison on Children. He has also spoken
on BBC Radio Wales.
Kevin’s reported and notable cases include:
- Nottinghamshire County Council -v- SF and GD [pending],  Court of Appeal
- P –v- East Sussex County Council  VWHC 4634 (Admin), High Court
- K & K –v- THE AUTHORITY  ELR 295 UT (AC), Upper Tribunal
- JS –v- First Tier Tribunal [HESC] and London Borough of Greenwich  UKUT374 (AAC), Upper Tribunal
- EH –v- Kent County Council  EWCA Civ 709, Court of Appeal
- SB –v- Kent County Council  HS/2397/2011, Upper Tribunal
- LM –v- London Borough of Lewisham (SEN)  UKUT204(AAC), Upper Tribunal