Roads are a critical part of our transport network. As a top ranked stand-alone team of specialists, we come highly recommended from a broad range of clients across both the public and private sectors as a “First class practice, known for its ‘stunning advice’.” (Legal 500). We have a proven track record and expert resource to handle all the issues surrounding highway planning.
We have extensive experience of collaborating with many private and public sector clients, enabling us to provide targeted advice for the successful delivery of your highway project. We have a deep understanding of all relevant legislation including the Highways Act 1980 and using Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) powers where required.
We can support you at all stages of your project, including:
- Stopping up and diversion of highways
- Construction, dedication and adoption of highways, including Section 38 Agreements
- Permanent alteration or improvements of highways, including Section 278 Agreements
- Modification of Definitive Maps (to include or exclude public access/rights of way)
We have particular expertise in the promotion of highway development on behalf of local authorities and public inquiries, as well as advising clients affected by highway CPO schemes on making their objections and on compensation and accommodation works issues. Our experience includes:
- Advising the Welsh Ministers on the promotion of the statutory orders for the M4 Corridor around Newport project
- Compulsory purchase and related statutory orders under the Highways Act 1980 to enable the Wrexham County Borough Council to construct the new access roads to the Wrexham Industrial Estate
- Acting for property investors in relation to the A465 dualling project and in relation to the Port Talbot Peripheral Distributor Road scheme (Harbour Drive)
- Advising Cheshire East on the Congleton and Poynton schemes
Our leading highways practice extends to all aspects of road infrastructure including:
- Compulsory purchase, planning and environmental issues
- Consents for major road, bridge, and tunnel schemes
- Construction of roads, adoption and works to existing roads
- Highways Act agreements and licences
Related expertise include: Compulsory Purchase & Compensation, Planning & Environmental, SuDs.