Our Public Sector Team has extensive experience of advising Local Authorities, Central Government and regulatory authorities and a track record of delivering complex, long term, sensitive, challenging projects involving collaboration between the public and private sector.
We are recognised as having one of the leading public sector practices which includes several highly regarded solicitors who have direct experience of working in Local Government. Commentators have noted Geldards as one of the top 6 firms for public sector work. We are appointed to the major local government legal frameworks including EM Law Share, the North West Legal Consortium and the North East Procurement Organisation.
The team are known for:
- Major Projects, Infrastructure and Regeneration – we currently advise on regeneration projects including large scale town redevelopment projects and road and highway projects.
- Commercial Property and Conveyancing – we deal with all aspects of property work for local authorities including acquisitions and disposal, leases, licences, due diligence and developing and implementing vacant possession strategies.
- Procurement – we are recognised authorities on complex local authority procurement.
- State aid / Subsidy control – we enjoy a reputation for providing clear, practical and timely State aid / subsidy control advice, including on grant assisted and major infrastructure projects.
- Joint Ventures, Collaborative Models, Funding Arrangements, Income Generation and Local authority companies – we provide advice, assistance and training in relation to the creation of Local authority companies, joint venture vehicles, company acquisition and funding arrangements.
- Governance & Powers/ Support for Statutory officers – we advise on a wide range of issues relating to the powers and governance of public bodies. We provide comprehensive support to statutory officers (e.g. monitoring officers and chief finance officers) to assist them in complying with their statutory duties.
- Standards & Conduct – we advise and assist local authorities on all aspects of their duty to maintain high standards of conduct by members.
- Construction – we advise on development agreements, building contracts, forms of appointment and collateral warranties as part of large-scale regeneration projects as well as advising local authorities on the implications for construction contracts including post Grenfell.
- Planning, Environment and Highways – we undertake planning and highways CPOs as well as provide planning services to authorities who do not have in-house planning solicitor capabilities
- Employment – our team focusses on senior officer disciplinary and employment disputes which require a skilful combination of case management, client handling skills and a deep understanding of the public sector culture and ethos.