Whether your passion for horses is as a professional or as a hobby, Geldards’ Equine lawyers understand the various concerns and issues that you may face and how you need to protect your horse, business or charity.
Geldards’ equine solicitors are passionate about horses and are all horse owners themselves, having ridden and competed in a range of disciplines and so bring invaluable first-hand knowledge of the equine sector.
Who do we act for?
Geldards’ Equine law team act for a range of clients, from equestrian professionals (such as Olympians, professional riders, livery yard owners, equine sporting professionals, breeders, owners, veterinarians, trainers/coaches and dealers) to individuals.
We also act for equine related organisations and businesses such as blacksmiths, vet practices, tack shops and saddlers, clothing brands, equestrian venues, equestrian events and shows, racing yards and equine charities.
Clients appreciate our straightforward, honest, commercial legal advice and in-depth equine knowledge.
What can we help with?
We advise on topics such as:
- Horse sales and purchases (dealers, professionals and individuals)
- Livery contracts and disputes
- Horse ownership and disputes
- Syndicates, including racehorse and top event and dressage horses, show jumpers and stallions
- Sponsorship agreements for riders, yards and events/shows
- Abandoned horses
- Equestrian business set-ups and disputes (including non-payment and shareholder disputes)
- Division of land, equine business’ and horses on divorce and separation
- Pre-nuptial/Post-nuptial and cohabitation agreements specifically designed to ringfence all equine assets on divorce and separation
- Tax and advice surrounding the creation of equestrian companies and partnerships
- Charity advice (including setting up of equine charities, protection of legacies, general legacy advice and legacy disputes)
- Equine property matters (including planning and the purchase or sale of equestrian property)
- Estate planning concerning your horse and equine business’ on death
Geldards’ Equine law team draft bespoke equestrian related agreements or contracts relating to:
- Sales livery
- Horse sale/pony sale
- Purchase of a horse/ purchase of a pony
- Transportation of equines (domestic and international)
- Equine ownership including shares of a horse
- Schooling / breaking services
- Commission or sourcing of a horse for sale or purchase
- Terms and conditions (including arena /equine facility hire and completions)
- Syndicates and cluster purchases
- Sponsorship of rider, horse, yard, events and shows (for both the sponsor and sponsee)
- Marriage and cohabitation and protection of equines and business’ from divorce and separation
- Grooms and other staff (including self-employed contracts and contracts of employment)
Geldards’ Equine law team is headed by specialist Equine Solicitor Rebecca Stojak, who is a keen horse owner and regularly contributes to publications such as Horse and Hound and Your Horse as well as speaking at events such as Your Horse Live and at webinars/seminars for equestrian focused groups and businesses.
For a no-obligation discussion about your situation with one of our equine specialists please contact Geldards’ equine law team.