We recognise the value of community, neighbourhood, parish and town council as the first tier of local government. We understand the demanding role of the Town/Parish Clerk and that local councils strive to deliver great services to their communities on a limited budget.
We have first-hand experience of local council law and practice. Liz Page is a CiLCA qualified clerk and worked for 6 years as a parish and town clerk.
Liz and the public sector team have extensive experience in advising and acting for local councils in relation to all aspects of law and practice.
For example, we have recently advised local councils in England and Wales on the following-
Business Rates liability for a public toilet facility
- Traveller eviction from local council land
- Dispute between to local council as to a financial settlement on reorganisation
- Lease variation
- Closed Churchyard responsibilities
- CCTV project expansion
We can help you with legal advice and assistance in relation to the following-
- Member conduct
- Standing Order, Financial Regulations and other policies and procedures
- Delegation and governance structures
- Grant funding applications and public works loans
- Land acquisition and disposal
- Registering unregistered land
- Neighbourhood plans and neighbourhood development orders
- Procurement and contracts
- Capital projects
- Information law
- Planning and highways
- Powers and governance
- Taking on services from principal authorities
- Assets of community value
- Village greens
- Litigation and debt recovery
- State aid
- Charity law
- Judicial Review
We can provide training to local associations or direct to local councils on any of the matters above.
We provide legal updates for local councils. Please subscribe to the mailing list here.
We are mindful that most local councils have limited funds and therefore provide initial free telephone advice and offer reduced rates for SLCC members and Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Association of Local Council members. We provide fixed fees for complex matters.